Living our values, learning for life, preparing our futures
What do we want our curriculum to achieve?
- Deliver the vision and values of the school
- Enable our children to learn how to participate effectively in our society through a set of core values:
Honesty, Care, Perseverance, Responsibility, Co-operation and Respect
- As the curriculum progresses, enable children to know and do more than they did before
- Provide opportunities to make connections
- Place a strong emphasis on language and physical development
- Enable children to explore their interests, talents and achieve their full potential within and beyond the classroom
- Be inclusive and overcome barriers, so all children can 'be the best they can be'.
How do we fulfil this?
- Enable children to experience a broad and balanced curriculum using The Curriculum Guidance for Early Years and Foundation Stage and the new 2014 National Curriculum as a starting point
- Place a strong emphasis on values
- Use high quality texts, with significant authors, as a key starting point for much of the learning
- Use a cohesive whole-school approach, where sequences of literary work are provided that sit under themes, mapped throughout the school
- Enable connections to be made between some curriculum areas whilst leaving some curriculum areas to be taught discretely
- Build on and build from previous knowledge with the understanding of where we want our children to get to by the time they leave us
- Class teachers are responsible for teaching our curriculum with specialist P.E. coaches alongside our teachers in P.E; we utilize specialist staff to deliver KS1 Music
- Take account of the growing body of knowledge which deepens our understanding of how children learn
- Learning is being developed so it is sequenced into small steps, clearly modelled and scaffolded; questioning is used to check for understanding; content is reviewed to build fluency and confidence; and opportunities for regular practice are provided so children know and remember more
If you have any questions after reviewing our curriculum, please contact the school directly.