What do we want our KS1 music curriculum to achieve?
- Use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- Play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- Listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- Experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the interrelated dimensions of music.
How do we fulfil this in KS1?
Music is taught as a discrete subject, by music specialists.
It covers different topic based themes and includes all pupils and provide them with the opportunity to be challenged.
- 6 blocks of specialist planned Music teaching for Years 1-2.
- Knowledge based with skill development.
- Focus on core areas of study: performing, composing and the study of compositions.
- References to key musicians, styles and compositions that have influenced music as we know it.
- Focus on high-quality development of children as musicians.